Saturday, November 29, 2014

A long needed update!

Saturday, November 29th

Wow, I honestly cannot believe Thanksgiving is over and there is only one more test left until the end of the semester! I have been so busy with everything that I haven't even had time to update all of the fun community service days that I have done, so here it goes! A big update of all of the days I've spent having a blast in NOLA.

In October, my awesome friend Antonia who is also in this program, let me know about an amazing opportunity to volunteer at the American Cancer Society Ball! It was in Mardi Gras world and after 4 hours of handing out pamphlets followed by serving dirty rice to all of the attendees, we were able to enjoy the amazing food, dance to the awesome band and hear some amazing stories from some amazing people.  It was a great night!


Just in time for Halloween..me with a power tool, frightening
The next weekend, we volunteered again for Habitat for Humanity, but this time it was in the warehouse where we learned how to test power tools.  Ironically, I was put on nail gun duty...testing the dreaded air compressor to make sure it held pressure.  This time it did not go off in my eye and I faced my fear...quite literally, of working with that machine again.  It was a great day working with classmates and helping clean up the entire warehouse and test all the tools.  Now I feel confident I can work with saws, and nail guns...well, at least be in the same room as the machine without running away and hiding my eyes haha.

Antonia walking with Kristin's gramps :)





Lastly, Antonia and I volunteered for the Walk for Autism and raised money and awareness.  It was a beautiful but chilly day in the park, but it was absolutely amazing to join so many families and help make a difference, not to mention it was great exercise! We met up with my girlfriend, Kristin's grandparents to walk with us and Antonia made a new friend, Kristin's grandfather :).  They talked almost the entire walk haha. So adorable!

All of us at the Autism Speaks Walk in the Park









That wraps up one busy couple of months!!
Can't wait to see what other fun events are in the future:).


-Cait the Bostonian

No comments:

Post a Comment