Thursday, April 30, 2015

The final post!

Wow, I can't believe it is all over! This year flew by! I feel like it was just yesterday that I started this program, and here I am writing my last post after the last exam we had today.  I have learned so much in this program and met some amazing people!

This past month, I was able to complete a lot of community service hours in Habitat for Community as well as with the Prom of Champions and through representing our program at the University of New Orleans' annual health fair.  By far, one of the most rewarding experiences was volunteering for the Prom of Champions that was put on by Children's Hospital of New Orleans. This prom was for children who are ill and receiving care at the hospital.  It was great to be able to volunteer and see these kids smile who are going through so much.  My friend Antonia also volunteered this event with me, as well as Kristin, who has volunteered at this event for many years.  Antonia worked one of the photo booths, Kristin worked the guest registration, and I worked the root beer float station, which was awesomely located within this huge candy bar! Not only did I make some awesome root beer floats, but we all got to enjoy a night of dancing and eating an unlimited amount of candy! Overall, it was a great experience and it was capped off with fireworks at the end of the evening and visits from two Saints players, who were both really wonderful with the kids and made many of their nights, including Antonia's haha.

Prom of Champions with Robert Meachem :)
Volunteering with Antonia to represent this program at the Health Fair was also really fun! We had many students who were very interested in learning more about the program and it was great to be able to tell them all about it and how much we think it really benefited us.  We also got to hang out with Sewann for the day, which was also really fun! 
Antonia, Sewann, and I representing Tulane's Masters of Pharmacology Program!

I can't forget to discuss the really fun adventure we had doing Habitat for Humanity this month either.  Kristin and I volunteered along with Gram and Ashtian who are also in the program.  We had a blast putting up the insulation on the side of the house and took a few opportunities to take some selfies of our progress haha. 
Hard hats on! (minus Gram...he was took cool for his at this point in time I guess) haha
Overall, I had such an amazing experience in this program and I can't believe it is all over.  Graduation is in a few weeks and my family will be coming down to celebrate.  I can't believe I have my Masters of Science....what a year it has been!

Total volunteering hours this semester: 
Second Harvest food bank: 2 hours
Habitat for Humanity: 16 hours 
UNO health fair: 5 hours
Prom of Champions: 8 hours 

Total hours this semester: 31 hours
Total hours in the program: 61 hours

Cait the Bostonian signing off! 




No comments:

Post a Comment